Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rural South Western Victoria, Bugger Bush and cold fronts

I knew I was in for a challenge when the weather news announced massive cold front and gale force winds across the SW and coasts starting from the SA border and lasting for at least two days, I've been there before on Vancouver Island and held out for four days, so this was nothing really, or so I thought. The accommodation park was 3.5 km to the west along a long long hill and in the direction of the rain front.

So the race was on. Up and up the hill I went using all the granny gears but to no avail as the strong gusts pushed my 50kilo load and me down into the embankment. At least it was soft with plenty of long grass to cushion the impact. I collected myself and the bike and with every available effort pushed my way up and out of the embankment on onwards on foot meeting gale force winds and drenching rain to add to the package.

Thirty minutes later I reached the top and would you believe the sun came out and I walked into the park exhausted but delighted by the view. The caretaker gave me a discount and I decided to rest for two days while the cold front passed by.

Wave after wave of rain fronts and gusts for two days.
View from my cabin - nice for the times the sun shone.


Acacia Paradoxa or Kangaroo Thorn
Acacia Paradoxa or Kangaroo Thorn, is also commonly known by us keen bushwalkers as 'Bugger Bush'. I learnt about his by a fellow work colleague and bushwalkers when we did an overnight group hike in the stunning Fleurieu Peninsula South of Adelaide in South Australia. We came across a track with plenty of this Acacia on both sides. At times the growth blocks the track but you must find a way through.

As a plant it is quite a paradox in that it produces one of the most stunning golden blooms for the wattle family in Spring yet is covered by thorns. This helps protect the smaller native birds sheltering in the bush from larger predators. We call it bugger bush as it sharp thorns at times can come in contact with the walker and you will hear someone yell 'bugger!'.

This part of Victoria is generally flat but very picturesque with a patchwork of dairy pastures, canola fields and dry stone walls. You could almost think you were somewhere in England, or Tasmania or the South Island of New Zealand. The heady smell of spring field flowers and wattle is just wonderful, especially when you're amongst it on a bicycle.

Tonight's music - Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra - a piece for those who appreciate seriious contemporary orchestral music. This man was a genius.
Tonight's meal - Pasta Primavera - an appropriate meal as primavera means spring, the vegetable choices should be the crisp new vegetables of spring.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, no way would I have the persistance to get up that hill. Are u going to ride all the way back to Canberra. love Skye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Skye this was such an adrenaline rush once I arrived at the top. Heading for Canberra and making my way across mid-North Victoria.

      Delete