Friday, October 12, 2012

Rail trails, snow in SA and complimentary pancakes

To travel offroad in some parts of Victoria you can use the network of rail trails. Rail trails are disused rail lines that have been reclaimed as paths for recreational purposes. Cyclists, walkers and in some places horses are allowed. Coming east out of Bendigo I used the O'Keefe trail that has a length of 19km and meanders along flat and picturesque farm country.





There are more of these projects coming on line and I can't wait to do Goulburn River High Country Rail Trail. It is the longest continuous rail trail in Australia with a length of 134 kms through north east Victoria. I have already done the Murray to the Mountains link and highly recommend it. http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/change-the-world/10105/

The Shepparton to Benalla trek was only 61 km but I knew that after packing up the wet fly for the tent and covering all the panniers with rain protectors it was going to be a long, cold and wet trip. A bitter and strong cold front blew in from the east cost, plummeting temperatures which is uncharacteristic for October and unusual to be coming from that direction. Not only did the Victorian north east alps get a blanketing of snow so did in SA for the first time in 50 years. Who ever heard of snow in the Flinders Ranges?. Amazing!

Here it comes - hold on,. The Front that gave SA snow!
On the bike I tend to cocoon myself in this weather, keep the cadence going nicely and focus on the destination. With all my high tech wet weather gear I know I will be warm and dry underneath it all. It was great to find picnic stops with shelters and have a lovely hot cup to tea, a sandwich and a banana.


My little fingers were so numb when I arrived in Benalla I could not undo the clips on my helmet or bags and basically sucked on them to get the blood flowing again. Had a nice long hot shower at the holiday park and next morning the park owners provided complimentary pancakes for morning tea for everyone in the park in this huge camp kitchen. I have never seen this happen anywhere but they do this every morning. The pancakes were delicious and just perfect with strawberry jam, cream and a drizzle of real maple syrup.




Tonight's music - Debussy - Images 1 & 2 (Piano transcriptions)



No comments:

Post a Comment