Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Grampians

After three buses and 40-plus hours I arrived in cooler and as it turned out later, wetter Western Victoria. Queensland was a real education for me, especially as a bicycle tourer, you start to become acutely aware of how precious water is for survival. In this slower but more enjoyable mode of transport (well...at least for me anyway), the distance between towns or regional centres becomes an even more important factor for planning your water regime and food consumption.



You start to sniff out for the most obvious sources, sports fields, rest stops and petrol stations. Through good advice from fellow travelers I have managed to accommodate an extra three litres of water to my kit. For me that translates to about 100km of riding in mid-range temperatures with 50kg of bike and gear to push, and the remaining 2.5 litres on the are bike for cooking and cleaning. As far as the planned Northern Territory leg is concerned, I decided through common sense or call it self-preservation to pursue this another time but in Winter.

I had such a good time traveling up the East Coast of Australia and the Great Dividing Range for about nine weeks that I simply ran out of time. Why the Grampians? I wanted to escape the constant trucks and hot 30 degree days in QLD (road temp about 45 degrees) and thought what a buzz to start at the very beginning of the Great Dividing Range that runs through all the Eastern states. Its always been one of my 'spiritual' homes, like the VIC alps, the Southern Ocean and the Flinders Ranges in SA. I can now add TAS to the list. The Grampians were named after a similar range in Scotland and provides a stunning Spring display of native flowers.

My favorite native flower - Orchid (Caladenia Sp.)


After several hundred kilometers I'm about six to seven kilograms lighter but I'm feeling very well. The little tummy has gone and thinner around the face to how I was a dozen years ago.

That's enough about me - now for a wonderful people story. At one camping ground I shared a campfire and meals with a lovely honeymoon couple from Melbourne. They had known each other as childhood sweethearts but then moved to different countries and eventually got married but to other people. Astonishingly, at one stage they were even studying in the same city but did not know this. After both marriages ended 'he' decided to try Facebook as a possible avenue to find 'her' at least to keep in touch. After persisting for many months 'he' found 'her' and the rest is for you to imagine. All this being told to me beside the campfire and full moon.
Tonight's meal - Chicken kebabs and rice.
Tonight's movie - Breakfast at Tiffanys - how appropriate given the last paragraph. A most memorable classic Parisian romantic story with stunning Audrey Hepburn and a young George Peppard. And would you believe it? The classic Moon River sung by Audrey Hepburn was also an iconic piece attributed to the American swoon singer Andy Williams who passed away this week.

Ahh....the sound of waves crashing on the rocks on the Great Ocean Road beckons..





 

No comments:

Post a Comment