Thursday, August 16, 2012

Downpours, native pea and Byron Bay

Well here I am a week into the journey and resting up for two days in the eclectic Byron Bay. Despite three days of tropical downpours on the first leg from Newcastle to Taree my tenacity has allowed me to pass the test of resilience in awful conditions. Both rider and bike survived. Would I rather sit in an office – I don’t think so. Already looking for shade in August!














Byron welcomes traveller


You tend to be a conversation magnet for passing folk on the highways and towns who will ask where you’ve been and where you’re heading. I even asked one couple what day it was and the date – that sounds like a good thing as i am not really trying to get anywhere in a specific time but making sure I’m camped before dark.

Native Pea Flower


One night I camped in a lovely quiet forest beside the cemetery and invited the ‘friendlies’ resident in the cemetery for a cuppa but they politely declined although we did have some nice ‘down-to-earth’ conversations about life in Coondalook during the past century and a half. Next comes Mullumbimby, Mt Warning and the who knows...

Little house on the Newcastle prairie - good fix-er-up project
Today's music - Carl Vine Symphony 4.2 (he's a Tassie composer who builds web sites for a living - an awesome piece!)
Today's reading - Cycling Touring Guide what to do if bits break.
Tonight's movie on the IPad - 88 minutes - Al Pacino the Seattle forensic psychologist




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're enjoying the journey thus far. Raeann

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Little house on the Newcastle prairie - good fix-er-up project"
    One for my 'to do list'. lol :)

    ReplyDelete